I recently did an “In your bag” shot for the amazing Bellamy Hunt over at Japan Camera Hunter, and thought I would put it here as well, for anyone who is curious what I carry with me when I’m out shooting. So here it is, going clockwise and starting top left:
- Bag – It’s a Domke F-803. I got this bag a few months ago, and love it. The size is great; it holds two bodies, some lenses, a waterbottle…everything I need for a day of shooting. I used it every day when in England for 2 weeks and it held everything I needed day in, day out.
- Fuji X100 – I just did a review on this camera, and as of now it is really the only digital camera for me. I love it. I could not spring for the Fuji filter + hood combo (rip off!) so I got the generic version.
- Leica M3 DS (double stroke), Zhou leather half case, leather strap; Summicron 50mm f/2 – I am a big fan of this camera. It’s very old school, no meter, no electronics, but it’s a classic. The viewfinder is 1:1 and really great for the 50mm lens, which is my favorite focal length. Based on the serial #, made in January 1955.
- Leica Tele-Elmarit 90mm f/2.8 – Just recently acquired, it’s the lightest and smallest 90mm Leica makes. Great lens, very good for traveling.
- Film – These are some of the films I have been carrying lately: Kodak Ektar 100, Ilford HP5+, and Fuji Superia 1600. I carry 1-2 rolls of each, which covers any lighting conditions I might run into. The grain on the Superia is very nice, in my opinion.
- Leica M6TTL 0.85, Artist & Artisan cloth strap, soft release; M-Rokkor 40mm f/2 – I can’t decide which of the Leicas I like more–they are both amazing. I love the slightly wider viewfinder on the M6 over the M3, and the meter is handy at times too. It is one of the last M6TTLs made, ca. 2002-03, judging by the serial #. The M-Rokkor 40/2 is a great lens, super small and light and always gives me great results.
- Spare Digital Items – memory cards and extra battery for the X100.
- Bikkuri Film Case – Another great item from Japan Camera Hunter! I just got this in the mail but it will for sure be in my bag from this day forward. Holds 10 rolls of film in the Fujifilm hard plastic case, which are now discontinued. Oh, and Bellamy Hunt informed me that I got THE LAST ONE!
- Rocket blower – this is a leftover from when I carried around my D700, but I keep it around. It’s light and you never know when you might need it!
- Water Bottle – You have to stay hydrated!
- iPhone 4 + headphones – ‘Nuff said.
- Notebook/Pen – It’s a moleskine and my all-time favorite pen…it’s a Parker something-or-other, but it’s great. And I’m picky about my pens.
- Gum – I’m not really loyal to any brand, but it has to be cinnamon.
I tried to be as specific as possible, if you have any other questions, let me know. I’d love to hear what you all carry in your bags too!